Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers

        The book Bad Boy is a memoir written by Walter Dean Myers. I'm not very far into the book yet, but I already have a feel of what its about. It's all about Walter Dean Myers's life growing up in Harlem. I also think it's about some of the challenges he faced being "quick tempered" as the book described him, and all of what it was like for him in his teenage years.

        Something that I found interesting about this book is that based on what I've heard of Walter Dean Myers story, he didn't have it so good. He was growing up in Harlem with a poor family and he was faced with a lot of racial issues. I found this interesting because most of everything I've read so far in the book is really positive. If I grew up the way he did, I don't think that I would have such a positive attitude when I am telling the story of it all. Maybe he is being so positive because when he was younger he tried to look for the good in everything. for example in the book he said "What I loved most about Harlem, though, was the music." This is not a negative statement about how he faced racial issues, or about how his family had trouble getting by, it's about his good memories. Maybe another reason why he is saying positive things is because it's the beginning of the book and he doesn't want to just drop a bunch of heavy stuff right on your lap when you first start the book.

        There could be many possible reasons for why he chose to have such a positive attitude when he is telling the story of his partially rough life, but I have to read further into the book to figure out why. I am interested to hear the stories of his childhood, maybe some of the negative things to really see what he thinks of it as an adult author.

2 comments:

  1. dear georgia
    that is a really amazing blog post! i thought it was really interesting how you chose one specific topic and added a lot to it. You talked about how hard his life was. I think you really did a great job on focusing on small parts like racial issues. I also like your last paragraph when you talked about how you want to know what he is like now. I'm also at the beginng of a book and i thought you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I really liked how you explained why the author might have started the story in such a positive way. I agree with you, I definitely would not be as positive as he was if I faced so many struggles (like he did). Perhaps when times are hard to get by, all we can do is try to see past it and look forward to something positive instead. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete