The book "Burned" by Ellen Hopkins is about a girl, Pattyn Von Stratten. She is raised in a religious and abusive household. I have recently started reading this book so I do not know a lot about the plot. But I did start to notice the way the book is written. It is written in a kind of poem form. I think the form of the book has a great amount of effect on whole strong.
One way the form of the book affects the story is that it makes it more dramatic. Sometime only single words are written on the right margin and if you read them all together they sort if relate. Another thing about the form that affects the story is how the title of the chapter is also the first few words of that chapter. It is a great artistic choice. I thought it was a good artistic choice because it's just interesting to me how the beginning words also relate to the rest of the chapter.
I really enjoy reading this book because of the form. I think the artistic choices make it more interesting. I wonder what other authors write in this form? I look foreword to coming across other books like this one.
Georgia:
ReplyDeleteYou did such a good job analyzing the author's purpose! And you chose a very unique topic to write about. I love how you dived into the details and feelings that the style portrayed. Do you think the author had any other reasons to write the book in poetry form? How does it affect the voice of the character and how she thinks? I think that maybe the author also did this to allow the reader to add in their own thoughts, because poetry is often less straight forward. Good job!