Monday, November 26, 2012

With Their Eyes-What really difficult or complex things are happening in the text?

The book With Their Eyes by Annie Thoms is about the 9/11 attack in the view of Stuyvesant High School students. One societal issue mentioned is terrorism. Terrorism is an obvious social issue in the book because 9/11 was a terrorist attack. I feel like terrorism is absolutely horrible. I think its good that after the 9/11 attacks national security mad advancements in airport security, and are closely tracking everything near important tourist cites. I think the author wants us to know that terrorism has such a big effect on a community. She does this by having people tell many different stories about how it effected them in bad ways.

An underlying societal issue in this book is racism. After the 9/11 attacks ended and we found out that the terrorist were Muslims, every "joke" was about how Muslims are going to terrorize us. It became such a stereotype in our society that people would see a muslim man and assume that he was some kind of terrorist. I think it's bad but interesting how one event made our society completely change the way they looked at a certain race.

No comments:

Post a Comment