Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Nonfiction Post- Showing Grass-Roots Support For Immigration Overhaul

The article "Showing Grass-Roots Support For Immigration Overhaul" by Julia Preston is about the marches that were put on by the supporters of immigrant legalization. The main idea of this text was to show that there are many supporters of immigration legalization. The author shows us this by explaining the many marches that people have organized to help get immigration reform. The author says "Tens of thousands of immigrants, Latinos and other supporters of an overhaul of the immigration system turned out on Wednesday for marches," . By saying this the author is stating how wide spread the support for immigration reform is.

The author is trying to make us think about the immigration legalization. Preston uses a lot of positive facts about the marches that people take to solve this issue and how people that think the immigration laws are unfair are finally taking a stand. The author wants to make us feel like the people who are trying to make immigration laws easier are right. Although she never flat out says it, the author says a lot about how a change in these laws is better for our country.

I have always felt that immigration laws are so unfair. That they were to harsh, and that making them easier would only benefit out country. This article just really supports all my thinking on the subject. I wonder what the authors actual views are in the situation? There are many people who support this, and who don't. Now that I think of it, immigration laws are probably a big social action issue. I think I should read more about this issue to find out more about what people think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment