I am in the middle of this book "It's Kind of a Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini. So far the depressed high school kid, Craig (the main character), has planned to commit suicide. He plans to, but he doesn't actually. He ends up calling a suicide hot line and then he admits himself to a hospital. He has just gotten to the hospital and I am at the part where he is getting a tour of it. I am really enjoying this book, but there are a few things I'm confused about.
One thing I am confused about is how the book just jumping to Craig making this quick decision to commit suicide. I mean I understand that he is depressed and everything, but I feel like there was not enough build up in the story. In the story, Craig is depressed about school and everything, but he doesn't seem to have a depression like "I want to make the decision to kill myself in five seconds". It might not be the way the story is written by the author, but it may just be reflecting the kind of depression we have today. I just might not be educate on depression enough to know why he made such a quick decision.
Another thing I am confused about is what the underlying cause to Craig's depression is. They talk a lot about it, but I have a feeling that they are not saying the real reason why he is depressed. I think that it might be that he's depressed because of something happening to him earlier in life. Craig explained that he knows the depression started when he got to high school, but maybe it was always there and that just "activated" it.
I might not know the answer to these confusions now, but maybe later in the story they will explain these things. I look forward to finishing the book.
Georgia:
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post! I love the way you analyzed the way he author wrote it. It shows that you are reading the book critically and that you are really understanding it. I have never read this book, but I did see the movie and I agree with what you are saying about Craig's reasons for suicide. But I think that maybe the author does this to show that Craig is also confused about why he wants to commit suicide. Do you have any ideas about what happened in Craig's past that made him so depressed? How do you think the problem will be solved?